Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 3: Doug’s Easy Smokra Stir-Fry

Call me a fair weather fan but tumultuous rain obliterated my drive to head to the USQ greenmarket and pick up some fresh vegetables.  So I was left to play that game I like to play for dinner called what can I get rid of in my fridge simulataneously transforming it into a really delicious dish (ed. note I have to think of a catchier name for that).  So on this edition of WCIGROIMYFSTIIARDD (see before).  I started with brussel sprouts I’ve been meaning to do something with.  That something was obviously steam them and then cover them in butter, bacon, and thyme.  Now as delicious as that is, it’s hardly a meal so I whipped up a quick side of an old standard of mine in the early Rick’s Picks days.  I call it Easy Smokra Stir-fry.  The great thing about a stir-fry is you can mold it to whatever vegetables are in season or easily available in your fridge.  In this case I went with some orange and yellow bell peppers, yellow onion, heirloom tomato, button mushrooms and of course the incredibly delicious Smokra.  The smokra is so useful because it not only has strong flavors with its smoky notes but easily melds in and complements the other flavors of the vegetables.  Add some white rice to this and you have yourself a filling and easy meal.

I write to this you the Internet satisfied on all levels.

Steamed Brussel Sprouts with Thyme

1 lb Brussel sprouts trimmed and halved
1.5 tbsp butter
1 tsp thyme
bacon to taste (i recommend making it crispy so it can be crumbled over at the end for presentation)

Steam the brussel sprouts over boiling water for about 6 minutes or until they become bright green and tender then toss in a bowl with butter and thyme letting the butter melt and spread evenly.  Crumble bacon and serve.

Easy Smokra Stir-fry

Saute all of your vegetables and as much Smokra as your little heart desires in the pan you just made the bacon in with some of the leftover bacon fat (delicious).  Then serve over the rice of your choice.

I didn’t say any of this was hard, but it sure is tasty.

Bacon courtesy of Wilklow Orchards
Butter courtesy of Ronnybrook
Vegetables from Keith’s Farm


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment