Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 2: Eating Local, Eating Smokra – Jina’s Curry Recipe

Confession: my designated Day 2 of Rick’s Picks eating local challenge did not go as planned. I spied some gorgeous baby eggplant at Saturday’s Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket on my way to work the pickle stand. Tasty fried things were still on the brain after last Friday’s blog about fried pickles, and so was Japanese food which I’ve been craving for weeks. So when I saw the eggplant, I immediately thought tempura. They were the perfect size and texture. I like tempura green beans too, and with the Rick’s Picks pickle challenge on the horizon…Windy City Wasabeans were THE perfect substitute. Done.

Unfortuately, I forgot to take a jar of the Wasabeans after closing the market stand. I was exhausted after a long day, so trying to procure a jar of Wasabeans was out of the question. I’d have to make do with the pickles in my fridge. Like the 1/2 jar of Smokra staring at me from my little pickle posse.

Food emergencies have yielded some fine dishes, I reminded myself as I rummaged through my cupboards. Eggplant, Smokra and a handful of pantry staples could easily become a nice curry. Plus, the day had turned dreary, so a curry sounded right. I had some canned chickpeas and coconut milk as well as the “holy flavor trinity” that I always have on hand - onions, garlic, and ginger - and a huge bag of spices. (Cooking tip: keeping your spices in the fridge will make them stay fresher longer. I also throw away spices over a year old except whole spices).

Spices: turmeric, curry powder, coriander, cumin and bay leaves

Here’s my recipe for a simple, satisfying and fast Smokra curry. The tangy Smokra balances the creaminess of the coconut milk and preempts the need to add lime juice or another acidic ingredient. I’m happy to report the Smokra stayed nice and firm even with a good 30 minute simmer. The curry came out to be so good, a happy surprise. The bonus: I have enough leftovers for 3 meals that will get better over time.

Cheers,

Jina

Smokra and Eggplant Curry

Ingredients:

1/2 jar Smokra, cut into 1? pieces

1 lb. baby eggplant, cut into 1? cubes

3 cloves garlic, minced or through a press

1? piece ginger, minced

1 large onion, chopped

canola oil for frying

1/2 heaping teaspoon turmeric, coriander, curry powder, cumin

2 bay leaves

1/2 can coconut milk

1 cup chicken or veggie broth

salt and crushed chile pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large fry pan (I used a 12? cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Saute chopped onions until brown at edges; add eggplant. Saute eggplant and onions until eggplant becomes soft and releases juices and onions become golden brown. Add ginger and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add spices, bay leaves, salt and chiles to taste. Mix well and add the broth to loosen browned bits that are stuck to bottom of pan. Add the cut Smokra and cook until liquid is almost absorbed. Add coconut milk to your liking. I like lots of coconut milk, so I added a bit more than 1 cup. Lower the heat to medium and half-cover with lid. Simmer for about 30 minutes, checking every now and then and to give the curry a good stir. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve piping hot over rice, couscous or quinoa. Add a bit of chopped basil (shown above) or cilantro for freshness. Enjoy!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment